Saturday 30 August 2014

Baobab Batik

Baobab Batik was a shop  in Swasilland that I became aware of when my mom came back from her three week trip to South Africa. She brought me the beautiful tree wall hanging and I thought it was so beautiful that I checked out their website for more information on the process.



The artists apply melted was onto fabric to outline the design before dyers add each color by hand. The wax is then removed through boiling the fabric. Finally the seamstresses sew the batik fabric into handmade Batik products.

I have taken a little information from their website to share with you. Check the site out for even more information .


Baobab Batik works with over 25 inspiring artisans, all women and predominantly single mothers. With the growing responsibility and the shift in women’s roles in communities, Baobab Batik believes in providing them with tools to adapt to their changing circumstances.
The artisans work together as a team, ‘Under African Skies’. They each specialize in waxing, dyeing or sewing; combining their energy, talent and enthusiasm into each and every product. On the website you can read about some of these women and learn about them.

Whilst dedicated to offering high quality handmade products with great customer service, we are also committed to personal development amongst our staff through social and creative workshops. These include life skills training, HIV/AIDS awareness, First Aid training, skills development and self-defence classes.

We are a member of SWIFT (Swaziland Fair Trade), an organization that supports the development of the handcraft industry in the country and adhere to fair trade principles through all our practices.

http://www.baobab-batik.com/html/our-product-wildlife.html





I would love to be able to shop online and buy something directly from Baobab Batik. They have some very beautiful home decor pieces as well as some interesting tops that I would love to wear. I hope that in the future they will expand their products and online presence so that people can buy from them directly. For now I will have to be content on enjoying my baobab tree ( which my mom picked especially for me because she know me so well).


No comments:

Post a Comment