Friday 20 December 2013

Christmas and Traditions

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas anymore. I'm not jaded about it or anything, but it always feels like once it is done I have to let out this big sigh of relief. As a kid I did love Christmas a lot and it was always a care free special time. I decided to list below some of my favorites about Christmas.


1. Watching A Christmas Story



This film is an iconic Christmas movie to watch and if you have never seen it then I don't know what rock you have been living under. It has so many great scenes, and as a child the one that stood out the most is when the friend gets his tongue stuck to the pole. Each year as a kid I watched this movie, along with a few others( like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer), but this one always cracked me up. This week K wanted to watch it. It has been maybe 7 or 8 years since I have watched it, and as an adult you definitely see it and understand it more. I love the leg lamp, I love the pink rabbit pajama, and I laughed so hard when Ralphie gets a foot to the face from Santa at the mall. I even got a little teary eyed when Ralphie's mom doesn't rat on him about "the fight" to their dad ( moms are the best).

2. Christmas Crackers


I love Christmas Crackers! There is no way you can't get a great laugh out of these things. My family has always had them and K's family has them during their dinner too. I love the tacky hats that always are too tight on my big head, I love the crappy toy you get and I always get a kick out of the lame jokes that everyone has to read out loud to each other.



3. The Smell of Christmas Trees



Wow, I love this smell. When they first bring them to the stores and they are super fresh, I can't help but take in a big whiff of the fresh tree smell. Its such a refreshing smell and it seriously can put a smile on my face. Since I have been married we have had a real tree only once. Then we got our dog and cat and I am afraid of what they will do to the ornaments while K and I are at work. Plus there is something a little sad about trees being cut down just so we can decorate them and then throw them out a month later. I know a lot of these places have farms and they grow them yearly in the same place, but I don't think a real tree will be in any future Christmas. But that smell....ahhhh.


4. Kids Opening Gifts



I don't like getting gifts from anyone other then my husband and my mom. Why? They are the two people who really know me and my taste. My mom and I like a lot of the same stuff and K pays attention and knows my style.

I also don't like wrapping gifts because I suck at it. It looks like a five year old wrapped my gifts, so K always wraps them up the night before Christmas.

Since my my niece, and 2 nephews have arrive, my new favorite thing about Christmas is watching them open their gifts. At first they loved everything and even loved the wrapping paper better then the gifts. But the boys are 4 and 6 now and they can be a little harder to please. The kid in me love to shop for kid stuff and when they truly love their new toys I know I have done my job. I even sit and play with them. This year I got my niece who is a little over a year two really cute Cabbage Patch Kids and a Care Bear. I can't wait to see which she loves most. The boys are really into Lego Chima, so hopefully they like the one's we bought.


For my family Christmas is a time to spend together and think of each other, and even though at times I sigh about the whole event I know in my heart I do really enjoy myself.

Happy Holidays to all of you! Be safe and enjoy!

~ Sil



No comments:

Post a Comment